1. It starts early,
on a cloudy day when you recall
the 'childhood memories' of
two summers ago,
that's when you start your backslide into
2. On the bright side
you won't notice this until you're
good and ripe in age,
so maybe it doesn't matter
3. That tightness in your chest?
The feeling that you're not ready
to take on the rest of your life; it
4. It stews in the pit of your stomach
makes you doubt,
but there will be days when you look back
on the mountains you climbed -
the raging rivers you crossed -
and you'll have a sneaking suspicion you were
more prepared than you thought.
5. There's nothing like your own bed.
6. Laundry will never smell right
without mom's sweat and tears.
But you still have to separate lights from darks,
keep the zippers pulled tight
and the buttons unhooked.
7. There is comfort in your parents' presence.
8. Things change
the future gnaws and rips and
tears at all that you know.
There will be times when your heart
and soul are left so ragged
that they can't be
pieced back together. So
make new ones;
9. It's easier when you don't think.
10. It's easier when you don't think.
11. You may not realize it,
but you've taken your life for granted.
Can you imagine the molding
in your first home? The exact shape
of the windowsills kissing the curtains or
the shade of the carpet?
Things you saw every day
but never committed to memory.
12. Maybe you missed more
than just the fixtures in your house.
13. You can never have
too many hugs
and you're never too old
to go home -
seeking one out.
14. You're going to lose things.
The keys, an argument with your boyfriend,
the constant reminder that you are beautiful.
15. They can sense it, somehow.
They know when you've crossed
the invisible boundary into adulthood.
And suddenly you aren't that cute,
and your stupid jokes aren't that funny,
and no one feel the need to
build you up anymore
16. because you're an adult now.
17. It's easier when you don't think.